Tibet Travel Permit

Since the policy about Tibet travel permit 2014 removes the restriction on group size and nationality, it becomes easier to enter Tibet. Foreign travelers are required to apply for Tibet Travel permits as well as a China visa to enter Tibet. This article provides you first-hand information about Tibet travel permit.

1 Who needs to apply for a Tibet Travel Permit?

1) All foreign citizens (non-Chinese passport holders) need a Tibet Travel permit to enter Tibet. Chinese who live overseas must apply for the Tibet entry permit if they hold non-Chinese passports.

Note: Most of local Tibet travel agency can’t receive foreign citizens such as the professional photography group, foreign officials, foreign journalists, Bhutanese, and Norwegians. What’s more, Indians can’t be allowed to go to Ngari Region.

2) Taiwan residents also need to apply for a Tibet Travel permit to enter Tibet. As we know, the most of the local agencies in Tibet can’t arrange a Tibet tour for Taiwan citizens. Taiwan citizens have to ask the local agency in Taiwan for help who can arrange the Tibet tour and the Taiwan agency will contact the CITS Tibet, then Taiwan citizens can travel in Tibet. Otherwise, you can apply for the Tibet Travel permit by using China visa if you hold non-Chinese passports.

3) Hong Kong and Macau residents don’t need a Tibet Travel Permit, but they need to apply for HKSAR passports or home passes (or mainland travel permits). If they want to go Everest base camp in Tibet and Ngari Region, they need to apply for a Military Permit.

2 What documents do you need to apply for a Tibet Travel Permit?

1) First of all, you need to provide the scanned copy of your Passport with your photo, date of issue, and passport number. Also, make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months.



2) Scanned copy of your Chinese Visa.

Read more>>> How to apply for your Chinese Visa?




3) A tentative itinerary, that is, places where you will be visiting and staying. For example, if you decide to travel to Tibet by train from Chengdu to Lhasa, and then to Chengdu by flight, your travel route will state on the Tibet Travel permit is Chengdu-Lhasa-Chengdu. If you decide to take the Beijing to Lhasa train to Tibet, and then traveling from Lhasa to Kathmandu via Gyantse, Shigatse, and Everest Base Camp, your travel route will state on the Tibet permit is Beijing, Lhasa, Gyantse, Shigatse, EBC, Kathmandu.

4) Which city you will entry Tibet or depart from Tibet. Because both your enter and depart cities will be printed on your Tibet entry permit, they are only cities you can enter and depart from Tibet. If you later want to change it, you will take an extra fee and time.

3 How to get a Tibet Travel Permit?

As we all know, Tibet Travel permit is only arranged by an authorized travel agency. Therefore, you need to find a Tibet tour operator online to apply for Tibet permit for you. There are dozens of Tibet travel agencies offering Tibet tours for your choice. The most important thing is to choose a reliable and professional Tibet travel agency, which will guarantee you a wonderful Tibet travel.

After booking with the travel agency, you need to send a scanned copy of your Chinese visa and Passport to the agency by email so that they can apply for the Tibet travel permit from Tibet Travel Bureau for you. It usually takes about 12-working-day to apply. If you couldn’t provide the required docs and info on time, an extra about USD 50~80/permit will be charged.

In the meantime, you should prepare for your travel in Tibet, such as book air tickets or train tickets to Tibet. Usually speaking, you can get a little discount on air ticket if you book in advance.

If you want to take a train to Tibet, you’d better book the train tickets at least 60-day in advance as Train related to Tibet is always in high demand. And please note that train from Chengdu to Lhasa departs every other day only. In Sep 2017, it runs only on ODD-NUMBER days, such as 09-01 and 09-03.


*If you enter Tibet by flight, you need original Tibet travel Permit to board the flight.

* If you enter Tibet by train, you just need to need the scanned copy of Tibet Travel Permit and your passport.

4 What Tibet Travel Permit looks like?

Tibet Travel Permit usually combined with two pages:

1) On Page 01, it will show your tour details, such as your travel agency’s name, your tour number, when you first arrive in Tibet, when you depart from Tibet, your entry and departing city, etc. but above all, check the Permit No. on the upper right corner which is printed in red by Tibet Tourism Bureau.

2) On Page 02, you will see your personal information such as your name, nationality, gender, passport No. , profession, date of birth.


5 What’s the other travel documents you need if you want to outside of Lhasa?

1)Alien’s Travel Permit

In addition to Tibet Travel permit, if you want to go outside of Lhasa, you need an Alien’s Travel Permit. It is called “Alien’s Travel Permit” or “PSB permit”. Your tour operator, who arranges a Tibet tour for you, will help you apply for this permit according to your itinerary. As your tour operator need the documents such as your original passport, Chinese visa and Tibet Permit, the Alien’s Travel Permit can be only applied after you arrive in Tibet. But don’t worry, it usually takes only a few hours and costs RMB 50 per person.

Tibet Travel Permit (TTB Permit) + Alien’s Travel Permit (PSB Permit)

Tsedang: Samye Monastery, Tomb of Tibetan King, Trundruk Monastery, Yumbulakhang
Shigatse: Sakya Monastery, Mt. Everest, Rongbuk Monastery
Gyangtse: Pelkor Chode Monastery & Kubum Stupa
Nyingchi Region: Basum-tso, Pomi, Rawo-tso, etc.
Chamdo Region: Chamdo, Riwoche, Tengchen, etc.

2) Military Permit

If you are planning to the military sensitive areas in Tibet, such as Ngari, Nyingchi, and Nagqu, you need to apply for Military Permit by the Military office in Lhasa. It normally takes 1-2 week days and the cost is RMB 100 per person.

Tibet Travel Permit (TTB Permit) + Alien’s Travel Permit (PSB Permit) + Military Permit
Ngari Region: Mt. Kailash, Lake Manasarovar, Tsaparang, Years, etc.